Monday, May 9, 2011

One mile at a time

About three years ago my mom switched from running to cycling due to an injury.  I miss running those long marathon training runs every weekend with her; even hours of new songs on my iPod can’t replace her company.  So somewhat grudgingly, I have since become a solo runner rarely having the opportunity to run with someone else.  (No – I don’t count my son in the jogging stroller because he mostly sleeps.  He is great company before he falls asleep though – he made it only 9 minutes before sleeping on a 10.5 mile run last week!)

However, the past couple of weekends I have had the opportunity to run with a friend who is new to outdoor running.  Marc is great on a treadmill I’m sure, but learned quickly that running outside, for some reason, takes a bit more out of you!  The first time we ran together, he knew I was planning on running 10 miles; he thought he would go two or three miles with me.  Marc showed up in his compression socks and five finger shoes ready to go.  He started out strong (maybe too strong) with his iPod blaring, and did make it one mile… and then turned around and went home.   

Even though I was afraid this was a letdown for Marc, I felt encouraged by his effort.  I had company, even if it was for only a mile, and I had endurance, endurance I had earned after many runs that started out just like that one did for Marc.  I knew I would need to get home and remind him that this is how you build endurance – one mile at a time.  This weekend when I ran with Marc I had already ran 11 miles so I was more conscious of the speed; he made it even farther this time!    

I’ve been reading a lot recently about runners becoming mentors for beginners and have found myself wishing I could have a mentor.  I have dreams of running faster marathons and half marathons… and maybe even to finish an ultra marathon.  I never thought that spending a little bit of time with a beginner might actually be just as good for me.  It brings me back to the fundamentals.  Endurance is built one mile at a time…